Yes, I WANT some new heels. Yes, I WISH I could get those $165 heels. But do I NEED them?
This is a question I ask myself often when I’m shopping. I know we all have WANTS and WISHES, but do we actually NEED these items. Believe me if it was up to me I would love to add another shelf of heels to my already existing ones, but my main priority are my finances. I think when it comes to material items and finances, black women are more likely to spend on material items over their financial priorities. Sometimes we may splurge a little too much, which I think has happen to us at all least once but constant spending of what you don’t have does not add up. Here are a couple of things I do before spending:
- Is this want something that will benefit me in the long run?
- How can I utilize this want? (How many wears can I get out of this time, how many outfits will it go with, etc.?)
- Is this really what I want?
- Is this want an investment for me?
- I wish I could buy these Louboutin, but can I afford it?
- My wish is very expensive can I find something similar that’s cheaper?
- Is my wish practical?
- Is this something I need at the moment? Can it wait?
- Do I need what I want because it’ll benefit me?
These are just a few of the questions I ask myself when I shop. I’m a very picky shopper but I think you can do this with any item you buy whether it’s clothes, electronics, furniture, etc.
Don’t get me wrong I think you should reward yourself with nice things, but only if your priorities are straight. If you can afford to spend it than why not …
What questions do you ask yourself before spending?